Esoteric schools, in general, and Freemasonry, in particular, play important (overt and covert) roles in the history of civilization, because they are concerned with the management of the set of values, institutions, laws, and symbols common to a particular social group.
In the context of his philosophical, theological, and noopolitical work, and after a series of arduous international Freemasonic initiatives, Dr. Nicolas Laos has founded and presides over the “United Traditionalist Grand Sanctuaries of the Ancient and Primitive Rite Memphis-Misraim” (U.T.G.S.), which is an autonomous, international Freemasonic and scholarly fraternity whose purpose is to use his philosophy of methexis (or methexiology) as a paradigm for a spiritually rectified system of Freemasonry and for the preservation and the right interpretation of the ethos of the “Old Charges” of Freemasonry (the earliest of which is the “Halliwell Manuscript,” also known as the “Regius Poem,” and it is dated to 1390).
In the Middle Ages, Freemasonic institutions were founded by European Christians as culturally European and Christian fraternities. But, during its chequered history, especially during the modern era, Freemasonry went through several substantial changes, different Freemasonic organizations (‘Orders’), degrees, rites, and currents emerged, and several inter-Masonic conflicts took place over philosophical, religious, ideological, political, ritualistic, and administrative issues. Thus, in the modern era, there is not a single type of Freemasonry, and even the United Grand Lodge of England, which claims to be the measure and the ultimate judge of “regular” Freemasonry, has endorsed various Masonic innovations and has clearly and officially deviated from the original, European and Christian model of the Craft. Each and every Freemasonic organization is a symbolic ‘construction company’ based on its own ‘architectural plan.’ In order to understand the symbolic architectural plan and the underlying ethos of our “United Traditionalist Grand Sanctuaries of the Ancient and Primitive Rite Memphis-Misraim” (U.T.G.S.), please, study the following book:
Nicolas Laos, Methexiology: Philosophical Theology and Theological Philosophy for the Deification of Humanity, Eugene, Oregon: Wipf and Stock Publishers/Pickwick Publications, 2016.
- Ερωτήσεις και Απαντήσεις Περί του Ελευθεροτεκτονισμού (PDF)
- The Structure of the United Traditionalist Grand Sanctuaries of the Ancient and Primitive Rite Memphis-Misraim (PDF)
- The Degrees and the Ritual of the United Traditionalist Grand Sanctuaries of the Ancient and Primitive Rite Memphis-Misraim (PDF)
- Chivalric Ethos and the United Traditionalist Grand Sanctuaries of the Ancient and Primitive Rite Memphis-Misraim (PDF)
- Founding International Treaties of the United Traditionalist Grand Sanctuaries of the Ancient and Primitive Rite Memphis-Misraim with the Mother Lodge of the Sons & Daughters of Aaron of the Ancient and Primitive Rite of Memphis & Misraim (Atlanta, Georgia, USA) and with the worldwide Congregational Illuminist Movement (Illuminati).
- The Treaty with which His Beatitude Dr. Daniel de Jesús Ruiz Flores, First Hierarch of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Mexico, placed the United Traditionalist Grand Sanctuaries of the Ancient and Primitive Rite Memphis–Misraim under His Beatitude’s Ecclesiastical Protection and Patronage (PDF).
- TREATIES WITH U.S. GRAND MASONIC FORCES (PDF)
- TREATY WITH THE M.W. GRAND LODGE OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (A.F.&A.M. OF WASHINGTON DC) (PDF)
- Το Τάγμα μας Ως Δύναμη Εμπροσθοφυλακής Ατενίζει το Μέλλον με Αισιοδοξία (PDF)
- Το Έργο του Δρος Νικολάου Λάου στον Ελευθεροτεκτονισμό (PDF)
In our Freemasonic organization, namely, the U.T.G.S., we maintain that knowledge externally acquired (i.e., ‘exoteric,’ or rational knowledge) and knowledge internally received (i.e., ‘esoteric’ knowledge derived from the heart) should be fully integrated. Therefore, we are focused on the notion of ‘faith,’ since faith is a necessary requisite for inner illumination (internal spiritual insight). In this context, we are concerned with the world history of spirituality, symbology, philosophical anthropology, and comparative religion, without, however, lapsing into arbitrary syncretistic arguments.
God’s love never abandoned humanity, even when humanity followed its own independent path. “The love of God never fails and never will fail” (1 Corinthians 13:8). Hence, even though the culmination of God’s self-disclosure in history took place when God became incarnate in Jesus Christ (John 1:14), those spiritual systems which preceded Christ and sincerely sought the real truth and divine illumination (e.g., classical Greek philosophy, ancient mystery schools, etc.), far from being damned and/or spiritually blind, were integral aspects of the divine economy of salvation, even though the knowledge that they contain is partial and incomplete (1 Corinthians 13:9).
Furthermore, in our U.T.G.S., we maintain that the symbol of a true Freemason is a perfect ashlar, that is, a square and smooth stone, for the following two reasons: first, because a true Freemason strives to “knock off all superfluous knobs and excrescences,” and, secondly, because, like a stone, a true Freemason’s conscience is solid and firm. A true Freemason does not speak in order to please people, but he/she speaks in order to please the Sovereign Great Architect of the Universe, whose will is perfectly revealed in the Holy Bible, which true Freemasons regard as the unerring standard of Truth and Justice. If such a person has to be one voice alone in the world, then he/she will not change his/her mind. However, unfortunately, in the modern era, several Freemasonic organizations consist of and make Freemasons whose conscience is not made of stone, but of compressed paper, and they are initiates of the “mystery of lawlessness” (2 Thessalonians 2:7). “The square and white stones which agree exactly in their joints, are the apostles, and bishops, and doctors, and ministers, who through the mercy of God have come in, and governed, and taught and ministered holily and modestly to the elect of God, both those who have fallen asleep and those who yet remain, who have always agreed with them, and have had peace within themselves, and have heard each other” (The Shepherd of Hermas, Book I, Vision 3, 52; Sinaitic Codex).
You are welcome to ask further questions about these issues by sending a message to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org